Electric penny boards are growing in popularity – and for good reasons! Much smaller than electric scooters or bikes, but still offering the benefit of mechanical power, these little wheeled machines are hitting the streets in full force.
We’ve reviewed the masses and rounded up the best to create the top 5 electric penny board review below!
Table of Contents
- Things to consider before buying a penny electric skateboard
- What are the Advantages of an Electric Penny Board?
- Top 5 Penny electric skateboard
- Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard
- VOKUL V1 Electric Skateboard Cruiser
- Meepo Mini 2 Electric Skateboard
- SKATEBOLT Electric Skateboard Mini
- EnSkate R3 Mini Electric Skateboard
- Conclusion – Which electric penny board is right for you?
Things to consider before buying a penny electric skateboard
Before you start shopping, let’s cover some important things to think about when searching for your future penny board. You need a portable commute solution, and this can solve that problem.
For the earth-friendly folks, electric penny boards are a great choice in cutting down on your carbon footprint. Pack some seed bombs with you to toss along the way and you’re feeding two birds with one scone.
The ideal customer for an electric penny board is likely someone with some skateboarding experience, though this doesn’t have to be the case. The penny board is a unique design and takes a bit of practice to master the ride.
If you’re a bit wary of treading into the skate-world (say, you’ve never been great at balancing) think about looking into electric scooters instead.
Consider the following before you shell out the cash:
- How much do you want to spend? Hit that budget sheet.
- What does the geography of your commute look like (hills, sidewalks, trails, etc)
- Are you purchasing for your young niece? Probably not the best idea to get her the board that goes over 20mph.
- Are you going to be traveling with the board – you’ll need something you can take on a plane.
What are the Advantages of an Electric Penny Board?
Besides being freaking awesome, electric penny boards have a lot to brag about. They get our vote on being the coolest up and coming electric ride out there.
Penny boards are fun to learn on, easy to handle, and look pretty dang cool.
Let’s hit the pros, bullet-style:
- Easily tackle hills, with the electric machine power
- Small and portable (compared to a big scooter or bike)
- Eco friendly! Ditch the gas guzzler and enjoy some fresh in-polluted air
- Cost-effective, for an electric vehicle
These little machines can pack a lot of power. Hitting some decent speeds, up to 13mph, you can majorly cut your walk commute time. They’re operated by wireless remote, making them very easy to use.
Simply plug in your remote to a USB charger and you’ll never have to worry about losing power.
A lot of these boards have a great battery life, that can take up over 10 miles of travel, and can handle steep ramp grades of various levels. That’ll save you from huffing and puffing your way on foot.
The battery packs are located on the bottom side of the deck and are super slim. Being lightweight, around 13lbs, an electric penny board can go from street to strap onto your backpack and into your office with ease.
The benefit of being able to take your ride with you is that you don’t have to leave it outside to fend for itself against the elements and thieves.
Alright, let’s get that round-up!
Top 5 Penny electric skateboard
Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard
This is the prom king of electric penny boards. It can hit up to 20mph and is loaded with tons of battery power to long outlast your commute, so it’s no problem if you decide to dog leg to the brewery after class.
Just like your favorite pizza, this deep dish deck will keep you satisfied by being extra stable.
–Speed: up to 20 mph
–Range: 14 miles
–Battery: Lithium-ion with 1000 watts of power
–Remote: ergonomic shape and intuitive. Designed with cutting-edge firmware for simplicity.
- Fast recharge time of 1 hour and 45 min
- Super smooth wheels
- Regenerative brakes save batter life
- Tackle a 20% incline with ease
- Deep dish deck for extra stability
- Oof the price – this dollar comes in high. But you get what you pay for.
- Weighs a bit more than others at almost 17lbs
- Can be a bumpy ride, so stick to the smoother streets and don’t go off-roading.
VOKUL V1 Electric Skateboard Cruiser
This sleek and grey-hued board is super affordable and knows how to perform. The desk is made of 7 layer maple and can hold up to 200lbs. It’ll carry you (if you weigh under 200lbs that is) a good 10 miles on a 2 hour charge time.
Not bad a range considering the sweet price. With three-speed modes on the easy to use controller, it’s simple to get to the range you want with the click of a button.
–Range: 10 miles
–Battery: 7S2P 4.4Ah lithium battery with 350 watts of power
–Remote: ergonomic hand fit
- Brakes! Regenerative braking helps keep the battery charge for longer
- Hefty 7 layer maple deck is strong and durable
- Nice speed range
- Turns on automatically when it starts to slide
- Not water-resistant, so you can’t ride in the rain
- Doesn’t pack a ton of power
- The controller isn’t that durable (don’t drop it!)
Meepo Mini 2 Electric Skateboard
This electric penny board is for the budget keepers. The cost won’t break the bank and the motor will help you commute there. This board is superfast, topping out at 28mph, it’s an awesome choice for adults looking for enhanced speed.
A short penny deck with a functional kicktail making the Mini 2 is easier to ride, turn, and super portable.
–Speed: up to 28mph
–Range: 15 miles
–Battery: 2 X 540 Watts – Standard / ER battery
–Remote: M4 Remote
- Remote comes with a wrist strap
- A good choice for teens and ages above
- Regenerative Brakes
- Up to 30% hill Grade
- The remote can feel a bit uncomfortable at times
- Weighing up to 23 lbs, the board mini size cab be hefty for some
SKATEBOLT Electric Skateboard Mini
The SKATEBOLT penny board is a cool chubby board that weighs only 8 lbs. Don’t be fooled by its weight, it’s also a great balance of durable, flexible, and sturdy. They greatly considered effortless and worry-free features with this one.
From a digital display battery to easy to replace wheels, this board won’t need a rocket scientist to operate and maintain it.
–Speed: up to 12.4 mph
–Range: up to 9.3 miles
–Battery: 2200mAh 25.2 V lithium battery with 250 watts of power
–Remote: screen display your speed and battery capacity
- Cruise control!
- Minimalist and modern design
- Ultra-lightweight at 8lbs
- The remote control screen tells you speed and battery capacity!
- Good for kids or adults
- The remote control is a bit sensitive – so this isn’t for the fat-fingered among us
- Longer charging times
- Some users have had issues with board and battery durability
EnSkate R3 Mini Electric Skateboard
Portable power here. This board falls among the moderately priced and makes a great mid-ground option for cost and quality. However, it’s also the fastest speed and can take an incline of 20%.
The board can smoothly accelerate and gets going with a kick of speed. It’s bright orange wheels also give you better visibility on the roads.
–Speed: up to 21.7 mph
–Range: 12.4 miles
–Battery: 10S1P 90Wh lithium battery
–Remote: Wireless remote control
- Brushless hub motor for extra smoothness and power output
- You can travel with it! Plane-approved.
- Increased stability due to soft wheels with great surface contact
- Great range and speed – this will easily cover your city commute
- Wide deck
- This board is a bit larger than the other models reviewed
- Better for smooth paths and roads, as the stiff deck won’t do great on rough ground.
- The motor might slow down as further your traveled distance during a ride
Conclusion – Which electric penny board is right for you?
You’ve got the round-up on your deck, now, it’s up to you to decide which board is the best fit. Each of the electric penny skateboards above is unique and has different features. It should be a pretty clear decision to narrow it down to the deck that fits the bill.
It comes down to two main factors: how much wiggle room you’ve got in your wallet and how much power you want under your feet.
Shell out the moola and you’ll get more speed and durability. Penny-pinch your penny board purchase and you’ll still be moving faster than you can walk.
Whichever end of the spectrum you’re leaning towards, you’re still going to get a fun toy that’ll save your calves from burning up those hills.