Do you plan on potentially making a purchase of an Electric Scooter? And you have some important questions on whether or not you need an electric scooter driver license before riding out into the sunset?
Although, when it comes to answering the question, “Do you need a license for a electric scooter?” the answer is Yes and No – Currently, the federal government does not require electric scooters drivers to obtain a license, but that may change with time. The law does vary from one state to the next
However, this means you do need to be old enough to legally operate them. In and around the United States and your location must allow you the ability to ride these scooters legally on the street as well.
The newness of the Electric scooter popularity has created questions around what exactly an electric scooter owner can do and can’t do when it comes to riding it around their local area.
This article will be the best source in explaining the necessary information you need to know when it comes to your local area and how that may affect your ownership experience as an Electric scooter owner.
Table of Contents
- Your Electric Scooter & You – Understanding The Future
- Laws Around United States
- Florida State Laws on Electric Scooter Driver License
- New York State Laws on Electric Scooter Driver License
- California State Laws on Electric Scooter Driver License
- What About Electric Scooter Rentals?
- To Conclude
- Related Post
Your Electric Scooter & You – Understanding The Future
As the electric scooter market place is getting more competitive and more people are opt-ing out of driving and public transportation in major cities, electric rideables like scooters are gaining popularity!
You and many others as the futurists you are should be evaluating very closely before and after the purchase of one of these vehicles what exactly your countries, state, and cities laws and codes are.
The requirements for electric scooter driver license is not something new and has been brought up in conversation throughout different courts and towns.
Laws Around United States
Florida State Laws on Electric Scooter Driver License
- Florida does have a very love-hate relationship with Electric Scooters. These scooters are generally acceptable on the merit that they aren’t ridden on the street, according to Florida’s laws.
- Different counties and cities in Florida do have different kinds of laws, rules and regulations that are more favorable to electric scooter owners – specifically Miami and Fort Lauderdale as of the past year.
- Do you need a driver’s license for Florida? No
Official Florida Resource: https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php
New York State Laws on Electric Scooter Driver License
- New York (specifically the city and burroughs) has definitely become a bit more progressive towards Electric rideables in the past years since the road is shared by so many different people.
- Specifically in pedal assisted motorized e-bikes has had some changes in New York law. However, official NY law does not actually allow these vehicles on the roads.
- They are not able to be registered and therefore illegal to ride on the road alongside other drivers. Be careful with how you use these electric scooters around town as you could be breaking the law.
- Do you need a driver’s license for New York? Will most likely be No (depends on how the future changes this law)
California State Laws on Electric Scooter Driver License
Electric scooters are popular in cities like San Francisco where alternative forms of transportation is welcomed. Over the past few years electric scooter rules has loosen. At one point a law permitting e-scooter was being considered for use on sidewalks, but didn’t pass.
- California is definitely much more friendly to different sorts of rideables especially Electric scooters than pretty much anywhere else in the U.S.
- This is an industry that has matured significantly in California and has an adoption pretty much throughout the entire state
- Do you need a driver’s license in California? No it is needed, but if under 18 your required to wear a helmet.
Our Best California Resource: AB-2989 Motorized scooter
Not in one of these states? Don’t be afraid we’ve linked to a resource that should get you some additional information to your state and provide some additional insight on what’s going on in your area.
Check out this link for your more information on your state and Electric scooter ownership: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/mopeds-other/
What we believe this means for the future as well is that most states will adopt a very similar model as California.
More than likely, the likelihood of needing a license to operate any electric scooter will be a must. As people with drivers license will be more apt to know road rules and follow proper riding techniques in and around the road.
Whether or not these states and cities require that you have insurance, extended warranty, or even a pink slip, a license will mostly likely be necessary.
So if you don’t have a driver’s license, would recommend considering this as an option by the time decide to purchase on Electric vehicle.
What About Electric Scooter Rentals?
One of the more successful business models in the United States at the moment are the Electric Scooter Rentals in and around major cities throughout the United States.
You can find these Electric Scooter rentals in cities like NY, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Miami, and many more.
Companies like LimeBike, Bolt, Spin, Jump, and Bird have popularized these scooters and have made a name for the Electric Scooter community.
However, even with these introductions to Electric Scooters, many people have started using these vehicles for day to day ease of ride to work or getting lunch quickly or even having more fun.
These companies don’t have much of a screening process when it comes to letting get on and ride off to their destination. You will often find they may ask for your age to ensure that the user is over 18 years of age but each application has their own set standards and terms and conditions.
Simple conditions you should look out for when using these electric scooters are:
- Focus on riding in areas that are Metropolitan and modern
- Ride when it is favorable weather conditions to avoid any accidents
- Park your ride in safe and appropriate locations – free from street vehicles
Be sure to ride these vehicles at your own caution as any issues that come along with those rentals involve agreeing to certain conditions that could present problems in the future.
More information on Electric Scooter Rentals: https://qz.com/1257997/electric-scooters-are-flooding-california-and-theyll-be-on-your-sidewalks-soon/
This is going to be a never ending topic that gets updated every year and can change at the whim of the law makers and powers that be. With that being said, please make sure that you are keeping up-to-date on these laws and regulations in your state.
If there comes a chance to vote on a new regulation that would negatively or positively affect the electric rideable community, please make sure that you represent yourself accordingly and participate in these situations.
However, don’t let any of this inspire fear and concern, as everything in these rules do have grey area and certain things can actually rule in your benefit.
Always be sure to ride safely and avoid the road and sidewalks as often as you can – bike lanes would be ideal to leverage during your ride.
Use traffic laws as often as you can and be sure to get professional assistance from a local police officer if something happens to you while riding your Electric scooter around!
As always thanks for reading – Enjoy the ride!
How To Lock Your Electric Scooter, Secret Revealed? – Electric scooters are portable, fast, fun and we can’t forget expensive. Electric scooter enthusiast aren’t the only ones who value those qualities thieves do too. Which means an electric scooter left unattended is a huge target. Read More Here.
Which is better an eBike or eScooter? Commuting is no fun. Cars are expensive, and driving can leave you stuck in terrible traffic jams even if you only have to travel a short distance. Maybe you’ve considered walking or riding a traditional bike to work, but that can be grueling. Thankfully, there’s a middle ground. An eBike or eScooter can help you dodge traffic, but which is better? Read More Here.